Help Duties Summary
This position is located in the Human Resources Department of the USDA's National Center for Animal Health (NCAH), based in Ames IA.
The National Centers for Animal Health (NCAH) is comprised of three separate entities:
* Center for Veterinary Biologics (CVB)
* National Animal Disease Center (NADC)
* National Veterinary Services Laboratories (NVSL)
The Common Services Division provides services to all entities of the NCAH plus other support units.
Salary Information: First time hires to the Federal government normally start at the lowest rate of the salary range for the grade selected.
APHIS is an emergency response agency. This means that all Agency employees may be asked or assigned to participate in rotating temporary duty assignments to support emergency programs at some time during their careers with APHIS. For details click: APHIS Emergency Response Learn more about this agency
The duties may include, but are not limited to:
* Serves as a technical resource to the managers of VS-STAS, ADA/NVSL/CVB, for staffing issues by keeping current staffing statistics for each area, keeping staffing and organizational information up-to-date.
* Coordinates recruitment activities by reviewing personnel requests to determine the nature of staffing or other action required and sources of candidates. Keeps the supervisors informed of all the different recruitment options available (outside and inside sources, as well as special hiring authorities).
* When Case Exam and Merit Promotion Certificates of Eligibles are received by Selecting Official provide assistance on appropriate actions for working the certificate. Explains to supervisors how different appointing authorities may be used, procedures to follow, and estimated time required.
* Serves as liaison between HRD and local management when filling positions.
* Administers the Letter of Authorization (L/A)—Schedule A-appointing authority. Obtains approval for L/A's to enter on duty based upon review of legal and technical appointment requirements (e.g., type of position, duration of appointment, qualification, and suitability determination).
* Provides employment information to walk-in, telephone, and written inquiries regarding such matters as the status of recruitment, kinds of vacancies in the organizations served, procedures for filing applications, interviewing processes, dates, times, and procedures for obtaining Civil Service ratings for the positions of interest.
* In an effort to diversify our workforce, coordinates the participation of local VS and ARS Programs at college career days, outreach events, and diversity fairs. Provides event attendees information about Federal Employment.
* Answers a variety of questions concerning the full range of personnel support activities and/or refers the question to another staff member; verifies employment.
Occasional travel - Travel for training and work assignments may be required.
Who May Apply This job is open to…
Permanent APHIS agency employees possessing competitive status or CTAP eligibles.
Questions? This job is open to 2 groups.
* Job family (Series)
0203 Human Resources Assistance
Help Requirements Conditions of Employment
* US Citizenship is required
* Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
* Selection and retention in this position is contingent on a successfully adjudicated FBI National Criminal History Check (fingerprint check) and a background investigation.
* Successful completion of a 1 year probationary period is required (if new hire to federal service).
* Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expense associated with reporting for duty to this position will be the responsibility of the selected employee.
* This position is eligible for telework within the local commuting area of the duty location of the position. Employee participation in telework is at the discretion of the supervisor.
* Some walking, standing, bending, and carrying of light items may be required.
* The work is performed in an office setting.
Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement including time-in-grade restrictions, specialized experience as defined below, etc.
TIME IN GRADE: Federal employees must meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
FOR THE GS-07 LEVEL: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to GS-06 grade level that may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors which demonstrates:
* Performing a variety of administrative support duties in a professional HR office environment to include use of automated HR systems and programs.
* Addressing inquiries concerning processes relating to job announcements/applications, policies and procedures and department guidelines/regulations.
* Communicating both orally and in writing in order to negotiate and resolve issues, develop and present materials, and provide recommendations to managers, administrative professionals, employees, applicants, and customers.
* Tracking deadlines for self and others, including receipt of official documents, academic coursework/degree certifications, or similar items as part of a hiring process.
(Note: There is no education substitution for this grade level.)
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.