Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America's workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Negotiate, interpret and implement national labor agreements. Act as final appeals officer, responding to all appealed claims and grievances at the final level, including arbitration, if necessary, arising out of the interpretation or application of those agreements
• Negotiate labor agreements with Labor Representatives, including in major wage and rule cycles and as needed to meet Amtrak's needs.
• Responsible for the effective management of staff to conference and respond to all final level appeals of claims and grievances, including arbitration, as necessary.
• Responsible for advising line managers in the application, interpretation and/or implementation of labor contract provisions.
• Responsible for interfacing with senior management over policy or strategic issues as far as labor agreement issues may be involved.
• Some years of demonstrated work experience in the labor relations field and experience in labor negotiations, advocacy and dispute resolution
• Ability to supervise and effectively manage contract interpretation disputes and implementation of agreement rules
• Ability to interact with senior management in addressing policy and strategic issues
• Negotiation and advocacy/arbitration skills
• Personal computer skills including but not limited to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Strategic Decision Making - Obtaining information and identifying key issues and relationships relevant to achieving a long range goal or vision; establishing and committing to a course of action to accomplish a long-range goal or vision after developing alternative based on logical assumptions, facts, available resources, constraints, and organizational values
• Organizational Sensitivity - Perceiving the impact and implications of decisions on other components of the organization
• Development of Subordinates - Increasing the effectiveness of subordinates through training and development activities related to current and future jobs
• Graduate/Master degree in Labor Relations, Industrial Relations, Law, and Human Resources
• Leadership and management skills especially in a team-based environment
• Demonstrated experience in negotiating and administering labor contracts
• Prior management/supervisory experience
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Job Family/Function:Human Capital
Education Requirements:Bachelors Degree
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Employment Experience Requirements:5 - 7 years of experience
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job - we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
POSTING NOTES: Human Capital || No Additional
Website : https://www.amtrak.com
The National Railroad Passenger Corporation, Amtrak, is a corporation striving to deliver a high quality, safe, on-time rail passenger service that exceeds customer expectations. Learn all about Amtrak here from every angle.