Owens & Minor, Inc.
Job Title Payroll Practitioner Location Mechanicsville, VA, US Organization Name 01 HR Systems and Payroll Department Description Payroll Practitioner Brief Description
The Payroll Practitioner is responsible for producing payroll for the company start to finish by leveraging payroll and time keeping systems (internal and/or external), service providers, fellow teammates, and technical consultants to produce timely and accurate pay checks for all teammates. This includes but is not limited to performing all related payroll processing, tax filings, audits, reconciliations, adjustments, balancing, reporting, and general inquiries. This position also serves as a subject matter expert (SME) for administering teammate master data in the HR system of record. This role will be responsible for providing high levels of customer service throughout the enterprise while working closely with fellow HR team members to ensure the highest quality of payroll service.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Responsible for accurate and timely payroll processing, as well as compliance and 'best business practices' in accordance with Federal, State and Local regulations, company policies and procedures.
2. Reconciles payroll transactions to Payroll Registers each pay cycle.
3. Tests and approves payroll system patches, upgrades and modifications; works with HRIS staff to recommend, test and implement workflow improvements to maximize payroll effectiveness and efficiency.
4. Provides guidance to the field regarding policies and procedures, as well as assists with the development of tools to help DC HR/Payroll Coordinators with their jobs.
5. First point of contact for DC HR/Coordinators regarding payroll matters.
6. Approves/Denies workflow transactions (MSS/TSS) impacting Payroll; works with management and teammates to ensure transactions are correctly recorded.
7. Processes complex legal documents related to all types of wage attachments (Federal levies, bankruptcies, student loans, child support, etc.) to ensure correct amounts are calculated. Maintains A/P Interface for payment processing; coordinates the timely collection and response to Legal Subpoenas.
8. Works with internal and external auditors to provide information supporting audit requirements and to resolve any audit findings identified.
9. Completes complex calculations of taxable fringe benefits (Relocation, Restricted Stock, Stock Options, Personal Use of Company Car, Plane, tax preparation, etc.) updates for reporting on W-2.
10. Establishes correct tax entity relationships; calculates/verifies employee taxes are accurate and set up correctly according to legislative requirements; creates and submits tax files to relevant vendors/authorities; balances the pay period, quarter and annual tax files/deposits.
11. Utilizes ERP system to create and run ad-hoc reports as requested by Home Office departments and distribution centers; provides data to complete all legally required Federal and State requests for payroll data.
12. Manages relationships with third party vendors providing items such as: employment verifications, unemployment claims, direct deposits, positive pay requirements, charitable contributions, etc.
13. Provides customer service to all teammates.
14. Calculates severance and processes extended and lump sum severance payments in accordance with signed agreements; calculates and enters benefit end dates; works with Benefits Team to ensure correct benefit deductions are withheld from teammates.
15. Runs automated retro pay processes to calculate retro payments each pay cycle; reviews retro pay file for accuracy and makes adjustments as necessary.
16. Prepares manual checks outside payroll cycle as approved by Manager or Director of Payroll; initiates void and stop payments; notifies Treasury, and input into Payroll System as required. Research outstanding payroll checks to assist with escheatable fund process.
17. Runs and reviews payroll audit reports to identify exceptions each payroll; researches and corrects as needed.
18. Assists with the integration and/or closure of companies due to acquisitions/divestitures in respect to all Payroll matters.
SUPPLEMENTAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Performs additional duties as directed.
Job Requirements Qualifications
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
1. Bachelor's degree required; CPP Certification preferred
2. At least five years of payroll and payroll systems experience with large Corporation (2000 employees) with multiple sites and locations.
3. Or combination of relevant education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS & ABILITIES:
1. Highly detail-oriented, ability to work in a fast paced deadline-oriented environment
2. Strong knowledge of Federal and State payroll tax laws and regulations
3. Strong verbal and written communication skills
4. Strong computer software skills (experience with Microsoft Word and Excel)
5. Working knowledge of Oracle (or other ERP System) and Kronos preferred
6. Excellent math and problem solving/analytical skills
7. Excellent customer service skills
8. Ability to work as part of a team as well as participate on team projects
How To Apply Amount of Travel No Travel
Careers.org gives you access to over a million jobs and career opportunities across the US including in Mechanicsville. Find your perfect job and apply directly through a simply online application process
Owens & Minor, Inc.
Website : http://www.owens-minor.com
Owens & Minor, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, operates as a healthcare logistics company. The company offers supply chain assistance to the providers of healthcare services; and the manufacturers of healthcare products, supplies, and devices. Its service portfolio consists of procurement, inventory management, delivery, and sourcing for the healthcare market. The company also provides supplier management, analytics, outsourced resource management, clinical supply management, and business process consulting services; and warehousing and transportation solutions comprising storage, controlled-substance handling, cold-chain. The company delivers its services through fleet of trucks, common carrier, or parcel services. Owens & Minor, Inc. was founded in 1882 and headquartered in Mechanicsville, Virginia.