In this instance, you can make the greatest impact with your cover letter by highlighting how your previous HR job qualifications and experience can meet the needs of your potential employer. Follow this easy 6-step guide to creating an HR job cover letter to get started.
- First, in researching HR job opportunities, learn which skills and qualifications companies are looking for. Becoming a regular reader of HR job descriptions on job boards such as CareerBuilder.com or Monster.com will give you a sense of what positions are out there and what skills are needed to fill them. Considerations such as degrees relevant to HR work or prior experience in various fields such as medical HR jobs, university HR jobs or legal HR jobs would be important. Your cover letter should focus on how your prior experience or HR job training can match a position's requirements.
- Standard business letter formatting is the best option for your HR job application cover letter. If you are unfamiliar with this format, Microsoft Word usually has tutorials or templates to help you.
- In your first paragraph, clearly state why you ware writing. Be certain to mention the HR job ad you are responding to and where you saw it, as well as directly mentioning the company's name. Note that you have included your resume and highlight your experience or any training that makes you right for their position.
- In your second paragraph, go into more detail about what makes you a great candidate for this particular HR job opportunity. Include keywords and popular HR job phrases to show the company that you are familiar with the HR world. Discuss your prior accomplishments in HR jobs.
- End your cover letter by thanking the reader for their time and consideration of you and your resume. Politely ask for a time to meet to further discuss the HR employment opportunity and express your enthusiasm about it.
- Always proofread your work. Grammatical, spelling or punctuation errors in a cover letter could easily find your resume dismissed without a second thought.